Monday, May 23, 2011

Mum can you..............

That is a question that I hear a lot of times in the space of a day, or on the weekend, sometimes many times in an hour even.  This time though the question was one which I wasn't expecting.

My 14 year old son asked me to make a blog (none of the family really know much about this little blog of mine, it is my time and my space lol and so although they know it exists none of them have really been all that interested if that makes sense).  I asked him what sort of blog and why on earth is he asking me to make a blog.  It seemed like a really strange request coming from a boy of his age.

Anyway he said that he had read somewhere a recipe blog which had step by step photos of recipes and how to make them.  He said that he would like me to put all my recipes into a blog with photos of how to make them, so that when they leave home they will be able to make all their favourite stuff without having to call me all the time.  I said to him well I was starting to put some recipes on this blog of mine and I showed him a few that I have done and he just shook his head and said "no mum, it has to be just recipes so we can find them easily and you need to show us more step by step photos, like a picture of all the ingredients and stuff".  I said to him that he could easily find the recipes on this blog but he is adamant that he doesn't want to have to filter through all the "girly bits" as he put it to find his favourite recipe.  He wants to be inspired and to be able to see the pictures and remember my containers and the stuff I used to make his favourites.  He wants "just recipes", no talking.


So he got me to thinking that maybe, just maybe, I might do just that.  After all it doesn't sound like a bad idea.  It could be like a family cookbook online.  As I have mentioned before, I have many pages of recipes, clipped from magazines and found on the internet.  Recipes that, sadly, I don't know where they have come from as I have been collecting them for years, since I was a teenager in fact, so that is about 30 years worth of handwritten notes, magazine clippings and internet finds.  I can understand why he wouldn't want to inherit my treasure trove of largely untrialled recipes lol.  As a teenager too, he is naturally quite lazy, why on earth would he want to waste his precious time trying out a recipe that he hasn't had mum make first???? lol.

So today I am considering how I will go about this.  I love to share my success stories with recipes so I guess having them all in one spot could be quite good.  Okay I am off to have a little play around in blogland.  Then I will have to decide whether I will continue to have my recipes here as well or just keep this for my general waffling on and have my dedicated recipe blog.....I just don't know!!!!

2 comments:

Jenn said...

That sounds like a great idea, and after our move I think I will start one for my family too.
Thanks for the comment on my blog, it has served as a nudge of sorts, LOL. I recently acquired some vintage canning jars I've been meaning to photograph and post about.

OurGangof7 said...

Hi Jenn, thanks for the comment.

Yep I think he had a great idea. I am just trying to get my act together to start it. I'm not sure he will end up the detail he is after,,,,lol he wants photos of the ingredients set out on the cupboard, how much it costs to make and then step by step pics as well as the final outcome. Hmmm photographing that much while cooking may well drive me crazy lol.
We shall see I guess!!