Thursday, January 20, 2011

CHOCOLATE CAKE FOR A CROWD!

Mr10 and I were feeling a little bored yesterday so we made his favourite chocolate cake.  This cake is fantastic for large families as it makes a huge, and I mean huge cake.  You can either cook it in 4 loaf tins or as I did yesterday in a baking tray.  My baking tray is a bay moree tray (that ain't the right spelling lol but right now I have a total brain malfunction and cannot for life of me remember how to spell it correctly lol,,,,I am referring to the trays they uses in the warmers at a smorgasbord/buffet lol).

I got the recipe for this one from my sister-in-law a few months ago and it has been a regular on my baking list since then.  Every time it has come out light, moist and fluffy.  In this picture we sprinkled it with caster sugar just to add a slight crispness to the top....my son was a little heavy handed lol, but once I cut it up to freeze some, the excess sugar came off.


 Here is the recipe.  Originally it was taken from a little newsletter or recipe book printed by the Renmark Marching Girls Club way back in 1985.

CHOCOLATE CAKE

4oz margarine
2 eggs
2-3 dessertspoons cocoa
1 cup milk
2 cups sugar
2 dessertspoons golden syrup
3 cups of SR Flour

Mix all ingredients together.  
Once thoroughly mixed add 1 cup of boiling water to which has been added 1 teaspoon of bicarb soda.

Bake in a moderate oven for 45 minutes  (my oven takes more like an hour).

Makes 4 log tins or 1 large tin


How easy is that!!!  Very little effort for such a large cake which will feed the family for quite a while.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was part of the Renmark marching girls club and thus was the only thing that came up when I searched us, no photos nothing, which is quite sad so I can't show my family the photos I can now share our cake yummy