Thursday, February 9, 2012

Reading at the moment.......

I used to be a real bookworm.  I always had my nose in a book at every possible moment.  Over the course of the last few years I have read very few books.  Sure I browse through nonfiction books from time to time but it is rare to see me reading. 

This year I have decided that that will change.  Currently the book on my bedside table is the last book in the Twilight series, Breaking Dawn.  My kids got me the series of these books for Mothers day in 2009 and I am yet to finish it (told you my reading has fallen off over recent years! lol).  I read some more last night and I am now back into it and can't wait till I hop into bed tonight and read another chapter or so.

I have decided my fiction books will be my bedtime reads, a chapter each night and during the day when I get one of those spare little pockets of 5 minutes or so I will look through nonfiction books.  At the moment my nonfiction book of choice is Amanda Blake Soule's Handmade Home.


This one is a library book and I have just realised it should have been back there 3 days ago, whoops!  I have really enjoyed this book and I am going to have to reborrow it as it has some really lovely ideas for things to make (even me as a non sewer should be able to manage them I think)

Also this year I am making sure I read a story to the younger two boys each school night.  We always used to read stories but got a little out of sync with it last year.  Both of them have heaps of chapter books but neither are great readers so unless I read to them, these books sit there unopened.  Last year we got so caught up in the encouraging them to read and helping them learn to read better that our bedtime reading routine time was just gobbled up.  This year I have decided that bedtime stories are essential and have pushed the bedtime routine back by 15 minutes to ensure time for a chapter or two a night.

This week we have been reading Bushfire Rescue by Justin D'ath.....


The boys are loving these books.  Mr11 got a boxed set of these last year and this is the 4th one we have read.  They are great books as they keep the kids interested because they are very action packed.  They are easy to read and we have managed to almost finish this book in 4 nights of reading.  Tonight will see the final two chapters read.  I would highly recommend these books to anyone with kids, boys in particular, who don't like books.  Mr11 has taken one of the ones we have already read to school to read as his book for classroom reading time.  It is nice to see him show some interest in a book after struggling for so many years.  The text in these books is fairly simple and as the stories flow really well it gets the kids interest and holds it.

Even I can't wait to find out how it ends lol!

1 comment:

Tania said...

Reading is a good hobby, a great way to relax and withdraw from the world for a bit. I am so wanting to get that Amanda Soule book...wonder if our library has it in :)

x